For many years now, the focus of breeders has been to create the highest THC concentrations within cannabis genetics as possible. This is because THC is the primary psychoactive cannabinoid found in cannabis, and it offers a substantial number of therapeutic benefits. However, as more has been learned about cannabidiol, or CBD for short, the main non-psychoactive cannabinoid produced by cannabis, more breeders are shifting their focus to creating higher CBD content within cannabis genetics and have been quite successful in doing so.
What is a High CBD Medical Cannabis Strain?
On average, CBD content in many strains is only a few percent. A high CBD medical cannabis strain, however, will have upwards of 5% CBD content on average, with some strains offering as much as 22% CBD. Some of these strains offer little to no THC content, while others offer equal parts CBD to THC. Those that offer equal ratios of both are known as one-to-one strains. There are also strains that offer high CBD content alongside decent THC concentrations as well in various ratios, which you will see in the strains below.
What are the Benefits of High CBD Cannabis Strains?
One benefit of high CBD cannabis strains that are low in THC content is that they offer substantial benefits without the risk of any potentially intoxicating effects of THC. High CBD medical cannabis strains also offer many other benefits, such as relief from anxiety, inflammation, skin conditions, insomnia, epilepsy, pain, and much more.
High CBD / Low THC Strains of Medical Cannabis
For those that are looking for all the benefits of CBD and prefer lower THC concentrations, these high CBD/low THC strains may be the perfect fit!
- ACDC is a high CBD medical cannabis strain offering an average 20:1 CBD: THC profile, averaging 14% CBD. This strain has been attributed to reducing anxiety, relieving pain, and helping to manage epilepsy. The uplifting and relaxing vibe that this strain offers is embraced by many medical cannabis patients.
- Cannatonic offers an average 2:1 CBD:THC ratio, with most varieties offering around 10% CBD and 5% THC, which offers an uplifting yet relaxing effect for most consumers. This strain has been attributed to relieving migraines, reducing chronic pain, and relieving anxiety, among other benefits. This strain is often described as having a mildly citrus yet earthy and sweet aroma and flavor profile.
- Charlotte’s Web is an infamous high CBD medical cannabis strain that gained its popularity due to its beneficial properties, as seen in the story of Charlotte Figi. This strain offers a 30:1 CBD:THC profile and was bred by the Stanley Brothers. This strain is notable for its ability to reduce muscle spasms, relieve chronic pain, and help to manage the effects of epilepsy, including decreasing seizure frequency and severity. The natural flavor of Charlotte’s Web is described as being citrusy, sweet, and light.
- Harlequin is a very popular high CBD medical cannabis strain that offers an average 5:2 CBD:THC ratio, with CBD averaging 8%. This strain is said to produce an alert, clear-headed effect with mild euphoric effects. The flavor profile of Harlequin is often described as sweet and musky with citrus undertones.
- Sour Tsunami is among one of the first high CBD medical cannabis strains to hit the market. This strain offers an average 3:1 CBD:THC ratio, with CBD averaging 12% in most phenotypes. Sour Tsunami has a very sweet yet diesel-like aroma and has been attributed to helping reduce pain and inflammation.
Finding Balance with High CBD Medical Cannabis Strains
If you would like to embrace high CBD strains of medical cannabis and aren’t worried about the THC content, perhaps one of the following one-to-one strains of medical cannabis will be perfect.
- Argyle is an indica-leaning variety of high CBD medical cannabis that offers a pungent and earthy aroma and flavor profile. On average, this strain offers 10% THC and 10% CBD allowing for high functioning effects that many describe as being an uplifting body effect.
- Dancehall commonly offers a 1:1 ratio of CBD:THC; however, sometimes, the strain can offer a slightly higher CBD content. This strain induces the effects of creativity and socialness in many consumers. The flavor and aroma profile of this strain is described as being fruity and tropical. On average, this 1:1 strain offers approximately 9% CBD and 9% THC.
- Hurkle is a 1:1 strain that offers an average of 12% CBD and THC. This strain reportedly helps with depression, chronic pain, and fibromyalgia, producing a clear-headed euphoric feeling for most patients. You can expect hints of chocolate, coffee, and even grapes in this strain’s aroma and flavor profiles.
- Shark Shock is a sativa leaning high CBD medical cannabis strain that offers an average of 20% CBD and THC. This strain produces a very citrusy aroma and flavor while offering an upbeat, gentle effect for most consumers.
- Stephen Hawking Kush is a 1:1 cannabis strain that also offers high concentrations of both CBD and THC, averaging 22% of both. This strain is embraced by those that don’t mind a bit of psychoactivity and has been shown to offer substantial medicinal benefits for consumers. According to WayofLeaf, Stephen Hawking Kush is “often chosen to treat severe degenerative disorders such as ALS and Multiple Sclerosis.” Stephen Hawking Kush is known for offering a euphoric, relaxing, yet cerebrally uplifting vibe for most consumers and medical cannabis patients.
These are just a few of the high CBD strains available for consumers and medical cannabis patients. These strains are being highly embraced by many individuals from various lifestyles with a wide range of different medical concerns. Luckily, in places that have embraced positive cannabis reform, you can find many high CBD medical cannabis strains available for your specific needs with a wide range of CBD:THC ratios. If you are curious if these types of cannabis strains may be right for you, start the process of becoming a medical cannabis patient today by booking your appointment with a licensed physician to obtain your medical marijuana recommendation.
Disclaimer: The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained in this article is for informational purposes only. No material from this article is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment before undertaking a new health care regimen. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.